Thursday, September 16, 2010

Love Walked In

I just read Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos.

Lately I'm really into not summarizing books too much, because I tend to enjoy them more if I don't know much about them, and I want to extend others the same courtesy.

So I will not say much, but I will say this: Sometimes a book like this is just what you need, and sometimes it is not.

It's nothing too deep or serious, it's just a sweet story. It goes fast, it's easy reading, and it's a good story, but there's not anything too spectacularly literary about it.

And sometimes you need a book like this to take your mind off things. For example, a couple years ago on study abroad, I read The Kite Runner. And when I was finished, and feeling pretty downtrodden, one of my friends handed me The Devil Wears Prada and said, "Here. This is what you need to follow something like that." I had also brought Les Miserables, but she was right. There was no way I could do Les Mis on the coattails of The Kite Runner.

The point is--if you need a cute, fast book that isn't going to change your life or make you think very deeply, I would recommend this. If you're looking for something more substantial, go read Peace Like a River. Or Les Mis or The Kite Runner, obviously.

(Katie, is the sort of thing you were thinking? Am I fulfilling your dream? If not, tell me the direction you want to take it.)

p.s. So I took Shelly's idea of labeling the posts and applied it here, but I can't think what else to categorize this book as except for fiction. It's kind of a romance, but that makes me think of those bodice rippers at the grocery store, and this is NOT that. It's also about families, but I don't really know. Ann, Kiley, I know you guys have read it, will you add some labels to this? Can you add labels to a post you didn't write? Anyway, help me out.

10 comments:

kate said...

YES! Erin this is EXACTLY what I mean! Thanks for the post and the book suggestion and everything!

Kiley said...

I did read this book but it has been a couple years ago so I don't remember much about it. I do remember that I liked it though. It was one that I just laid in bed and read for a couple days and I was sad when the story was over.

Andrea said...

I'm glad that you liked it. I liked it too and I'm glad that you knew what I meant about it not being an amazing, inspiring piece of literature. Its just a cute book and a cute story and sometimes that is exactly what you need.

kate said...

So I thought it might be a fun idea to put the book covers on here because sometimes those get me excited about reading a book.

But it turns out that I am retarded with knowing how to place pictures with the new blogger editor so if you feel like this pic has defiled your post in any way Erin please feel free to move it around or delete it all together.

alexandria said...

I also have read this book and really liked it. Its the type of book that I call "flight books" because it perfect for reading on a flight to somewhere. Easy, breezy, beautiful.

Erin said...

That's a perfect category for it, Allie! Yes. That is what it is.

LL said...

I got a sample of the first two chapters of this book on my Kindle. Now I am dying to read it! I used to be irresponsible and just buy books when I wanted them, but now I am married and responsible. So I am responsibly going to the Provo Library the second I get out of class tomorrow and getting a library card so I can check this book out! And then I'm going to responsibly read it instead of studying for my neuroscience test. :)

LL said...

Oh and then I'm going to check out all the classic films she talks about from the Provo Library and watch them!

Chazlyn Robbins said...

Wow, where have you girls been my whole life? I love so many of these books! I know I've posted this before but this book was one of my all time favorites. I really like this author and can't wait for her next book. She's also written Belong to Me which was wonderful.

LL said...

I just finished this one last night in lieu of studying for the three tests I have in the next four days. There were times when it annoyed me but for the most part I really enjoyed it. I'll probably write about it on my blog in the next couple of days. Definitely need to check out some Cary Grant films now.