Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"The Giver" trivia

So, who out there knew that The Giver, by Lois Lowry, was the first book of a 3 book series? I did not.

The Giver is one of my favorite books ever. I love it and could read it over and over again. I'm a little worried that the sequels won't be as good. And I'm a little worried that the sequels will ruin the first one, a la 'The Land Before Time'.

I think I am going to give the sequels a shot. I've read the first one enough and love it enough that I can forget the sequels should they not live up to my expectations.


Thoughts? Has anyone read Gathering Blue and/or The Messenger?

4 comments:

kate said...

I haven't heard of them! That's crazy!
I would love if you read them though and gave us a review.

PS I think someone should write on here about Guernsey (sp?)

Erin said...

I did not know there were 3, but I did know there were 2. So I get half points?

I think I read Gathering Blue, actually, but it was a long time ago so I don't remember much about it. But I have an idea in my head of the cover, so I think I read it.

Kate, go for it! We'll all contribute in the comments.

Erin said...

Oh, and I didn't address your fears, but maybe inadvertently, I did. Because like I said, I'm fairly certain I read Gathering Blue . . . but I'm not sure. Which means it couldn't have made much of an impression on me. Not like The Giver does.

Kathleen said...

Seems like I heard of Gathering Blue, but never really connected that it was a sequel. I will have to add it on my books to read list. I agree about it maybe not being like the Giver, but I still love Lois Lowry, so I'll try it.