Thursday, September 23, 2010

Les Miserables

If you haven't already read Les Miserables , do it. And I say that with force. DO IT.



A few years ago my husband and I had tickets to see the musical. Erin suggested that I read the book first, and my life is forever changed because of it. Jk...kind of.

I am so glad that I read the book! I'm sure I had more of a grasp on what was happening in the musical because I read the book, but the book...? So much deeper, so much more detail, and so much more feeling. I know that is usually the case with books that have been turned into plays and movies and such, but it could not be more true that it is with Les Mis.

I think you should see the play too but PLEASE read the book. After the play was over I was a little disappointed that the most heart-wrenching, beautiful parts of the book were not included. In the car on the way home I literally wept when I was explaining to my husband my favorite parts of the book that were left out. WEPT, I tell you. And I recall saying through my tears,

"Jean Val-Jean is a good guy, dang it!"

I don't think any other book has made me feel the way this book did. And I'm not sure that any other book can.

You will cry and you will love Jean Val-Jean.

I promise.


5 comments:

kate said...

Oh my!
This is my favorite musical!
Although now I don't feel worthy to say that because I have never read the book. But the unabridged version has always seemed so daunting!

PLEASE try to remember which abridged version you read, or if someone else has a good suggestion, post it, because I should read this. Yes I should

Erin said...

Kate, Ann read the abridged version that I have, but had never read. I read it on study abroad and read someone else's copy.

And I know the versions we read are a little different. The one Ann read had more details, and I've been meaning to read it for a long time, actually. I should start it, I HAVE it for crying out loud.

And yes, oh my gosh. I absolutely WEPT while finishing this book (and in some other parts of it too, but mostly the last little bit). And I read it in Paris, which was fun, because that's where most of it happens. And then the first night we were in Longon almost the whole group went and saw it, and--oh. It just makes my hear hurt to think about how much I love Les Mis. The Book AND the play.

I second Ann's admonition that if you have not read this, you MUST. Your life will be better, I promise.

As for the unabridged version--I'm going to keep that on my bucket list, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet.

kate said...

and which version is the version you have Erin?

Erin said...

I don't remember who the abridger is. I will check it out.

LL said...

AMEN to all Andrea said. I read this book in the 10th grade and it took me 3 months... haha. Now I feel like I need to read it again and appreciate its wonderfulness in my adult brain.