Thursday, January 6, 2011

Emma

Emma. Written by Jane Austen.
(I think we all know that, but. . . tradition, right?)

So I read Emma a while ago. It is a book that I couldn't believe that I hadn't read before now because I knew the story so well from watching the movie countless times (which I think I have determined that I like the new BBC version the best because I feel like it gives the most accuracy to the book, which of course it can when it is much longer than the other versions, but still. . . and I also know that Erin the most-lover of Emma will disagree with me on this and that is okay).

Anyway, back to the book. I really liked the book. I can't say that I like it better than Pride and Prejudice because I don't. I just have something that I love about Elizabeth that makes her win out over Emma, but I did like this book and I think that everyone (no matter how many times you have seen the movie) should read this book because it is a good story and teaches good things about real life.

I am going to assume that most of you know the basic story of Emma (whether it is from watching one of the movies based on the book and/or from reading the book itself) but one thing that I loved about the book was that we got to know the dad a little more (which until I read this and watched the BBC movie, I never understood what a HUGE worry-wort he was) and we get to know Emma a little more. She is a little self-centered for me but I really do love her and it made me realize how young she was and almost made her a little more real because I am guessing that most of us are pretty self-centered when we are 18 or 19. Am I right?

Anyway, I feel silly even posting about this book, because most of you have probably already read it, and have your own opinions about it, but if you haven't read it yet, I would recommend it.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I read it in high school because I love the movie so much, but honestly, I don't remember it that well. But the last time I watched the movie (because you know I watch it like 6 times a year) I was like, "I need to READ this, for crying out loud!" And even though books are ALWAYS better than the movie, I love that movie very much and I know that will taint my feelings aboutt he book somewhat. But I'm going to read it sometime this year. I have a combination of Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey, and I kind of want to read all 4 of them this year. Not in a row though. That would be too much. Also, I'm not in the Jane Austen Book Club. I saw that movie, and it was ok. Better than I thought it would be.

Shelly said...

I have not heard of the Jane Austen Book Club. It's a real thing? Also, I want to finish reading Pride and Prejudice because I started it and was loving it when I read it, but I did not ever finish? Why would I do something like that?

I like the story of Emma too. Maybe I should add it to my list of bookies.