Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Power of One

Oh my goodness I loved this book. It's probably going into my list of top 5 if you take out all the Harry Potter books. It's about a boy growing up in South Africa, starting when he's five years old in about 1935 and taking the reader through his childhood and teenage years. It's historical fiction, so you learn about the Apartheid and WWII, but I mostly loved it because of the great characters that are portrayed. There are so many people to love and hate! Read it, please do.

Disclaimer though... this has terrible language. Bad enough that I can't actually recommend it to anyone without putting that out there. I almost feel like a heathen for loving the book so much.(but let's justify it here: it's a cultural thing, not an "I'm the author and I just want to swear" thing)

Another thought- The book is 500 pages long, which to me is super long, but not a hard read. However, there is a young reader edition you could look into that doesn't have the swearing (or half the story).

4 comments:

kate said...

You've sold me. I am reserving this at my lib right now. Thanks for the warning though about the language. That does for some reason really affect me. It's weird because here in Boston I hear worse language every day than I have ever heard in any movie or whatever but to read it for some reason is hard for me. Maybe because I feel like I am choosing to hear/read it, I don't know. So we'll see how it goes. But it sounds great!!!

LL said...

This is a really good book, and such a bummer about the language. It is my husband's favorite book, so I read it while we were engaged. It is really inspirational and full of the coolest characters ever.

Erin said...

I have never heard of this, but I want to read it. Any book I've ever read about any country in Africa just really gets me, I don't know what it is. It's going on my to-read list!

Emily Richards said...

That's me too, Erin! Africa is my latest love because of this book and Poisonwood Bible. What are some more Africa books we can read?