Monday, October 25, 2010

Peace like a River

Katie asked me to do this awhile ago but I was worried I wouldn't remember all the goodness that this book is. I don't read a ton and it is not so uncommon for me to never finish a book. I know, I know, you are all disgusted. I am currently in the process of reading the HP series for the first time every. Again, disgust. Well you can expect a post on HP 5 coming right up if you are interested. Anyways, Tyler (my husband) and I read Peace like a River together and it changed my life. I seriously loved this book from the very first sentence.

It is the story of a regular family in the mid-West. Reuben, an eleven year old, narrates so you see his family from his perspective. He adores his older brother Davy and spends most of his time with his 8 year old sister, Swede, who is so amazing. Their dad is a janitor at the high school but is the sweetest most humble dad ever. Throughout the book Reuben witnesses him performing a number of different miracles. There are some underlaying themes here but that is all I will say because if you haven't read it you should. Probably most of you have though. This is definitely the best book I have read for a long time. Maybe EVER.

8 comments:

Emily Richards said...

I agree! This book is definitely in my top 5. My mom and brother both read his other one, "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" and said that they liked it even more. It's on my list :)

Erin said...

For the love. Stupid Blogger just erased my comment.

But the point is, I know I use exaggerated language like "You HAVE to read this," or "This is my FAVORITE book" all too often. But believe me right now when I say that if you have not read this book, you HAVE to read it. It is probably the most ebautifully crafted book I have ever read. I feel like every sentence was deliberately and carefully formed to put a beautiful image in your head.

I felt like I was part of their little family in this book. I loved every member of the family--especially Swede though, she was great. And expecially the dad.

Like Kiley said, from the first sentence of this book, I loved it. It was one of those I started slowing down with once I got near the end because I realized I would have to put it down.

Defintely, definitely in my top 5. I love it.

KILEY said...

I saw that he has another book but it is good to have a referral. I must read it now. He actually started writing under an 'alias' of sorts with his brother. They were mystery novels by L.L. Enger.

KILEY said...

When I said starting I meant a long time ago. That is what he did first and then he wrote Peace like a River and So Brave, Young, and Handsome on his own.

Battfam said...

I loved Peace Like a River too. I recommended it to everyone so much that I think people were avoiding me in case I started talking about "that book" again. I chose it for our ward book club when it was my turn a few years ago. I think they liked it, but maybe not with the fervor I did. From the reviews I'm reading here, I see there are others who liked it as much as I did.
Not to be a downer, but I didn't love his second book. I had pre-ordered it when it first came out, but ended up selling it on Amazon after I read it. I'm definitely not selling Peace Like a River. It is a keeper. I might recommend checking So Brave, Young, and Handsome out from a library before making the $$ commitment for it.
At one time, there was talk of a movie being made from Peace Like a River with Billy Bob Thornton as the father. Does anyone know anything about that?

Erin said...

Ok, good to know. I'll check out So Brave, Young and Handsome from the library.

And Billy Bob Thornton? He's gross. I hope he's not the dad, if they make a movie. And I would definitely see the movie, but I know it would never capture the magic of the book.

KILEY said...

I heard about the movie too but I think it was from wikipedia or something. Honestly, I hope they don't make one. I am glad to see that everyone else really liked this book too!

Chazlyn Robbins said...

I don't think it would make a very good movie either. But I liked the book. I especially enjoyed how Reuben described his asthma attacks and how his lungs plagued him throughout his childhood.