Friday, October 8, 2010

The Giver books 2 and 3



I hesitate to even call these 'sequels' to The Giver. I actually wouldn't call any of them sequels. The covers of the books say that they are 'companion' books, and I think that is a perfect description. They go together, but they aren't connected into one story. Gathering Blue and The Messenger are more connected than The Giver is to either of them. I hope that made sense.

Gathering Blue wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable at all either.

I felt like 'The Messenger' was really rushed, and it just didn't have the beauty of the unveiling of the story or the surprises or any of the emotion that The Giver had. I felt like it could have been a lot better, but as it was I was a little disappointed.

Basically I would say, if you want to read them, go for it. They won't taint your view of The Giver, like I was afraid they might. But, they could just as easily be skipped, and you wouldn't really miss anything.

That is as long as you've read The Giver.

Did I mention that everyone should read The Giver.

Because everyone should read The Giver.

4 comments:

kate said...

I think I will just read/re-read The Giver. And only because you have so sternly suggested it.

And I think I will leave these other books to read until I am stranded somewhere and they are some of the only ones available.

kate said...

But I am glad that you took one for the team and read them for us so we would know that we don't have to. :)

Erin said...

I love the Orwellian category!

Yeah, I think I said this before, but I'm PRETTY sure I've read Gathering Blue. But it also tells you something that I can't remember if I've read it or not. I think for now I'll pass, since I have a list of about 10 books that I HAVE to read. Maybe at some point when I'm looking for something quick or whatever.

And yeah, everyone should read The Giver. I probably haven't read it for like 8 years, I should read it.

Kathleen said...

All I have to say is that your avid-readerness is quite amazing and puts us stay at home moms to shame. I am feeling quite accomplished if I manage one or two books in a month (chapter books). I do read about 30 minutes a day of story books and am finding many new favs there, but I have to say I'm a little jealous that you are pumping through so much lit. Good work.