Monday, December 27, 2010

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy



Let me just start with the description of the author that is on inside cover of the the back of the book:

"Douglas Adams was born in Cambridge, England, and attended St. John's College at Cambridge University. After graduating he spent several years contributing material to radio and television shows, including 'Monty Python.'  He has also worked as a hospital porter, barn builder, chicken shed cleaner, bodyguard, and radio producer. He is not married, has no children, and does not live in Manhattan."

I read this description when I was a little more than half-way done with the book and I found it very fitting. It was written in the same style as the book is. In two words, this book is random and clever. It is a fun and quick read. It is the first in a series of 5 books and is a New York Times Bestseller.

What I liked about this book is that it keeps you interested because everything that happens is unexpected and "improbable." It is laden with sarcasm and has moments of good humor. I enjoyed reading it.

If you are looking for a book to inspire this may not be what you want, but if you want a book that is different from other books and refreshingly original I recommend this one.

In 2005 a movie version of the story came out which I enjoyed as well.

3 comments:

kate said...

hmmm. . . I may have to check this one out. Someone at my work a few years ago was reading it and liked it as well.
Is it SUPER sci-fi? I don't mind a little sci-fi, but I can't usually handle a ton of it

Erin said...

I have heard of this, of course, but I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me to read it. I shall put it on my list.

Shelly said...

Katie, it's about adventures in space, but it isn't overwhelmingly sci-fi where you are supposed to believe everything the author is writing is real.