Monday, December 27, 2010

Brooklyn

I realized that I was reading two similar...but opposite books at the same time. Shanghai Girls was about immigrants to the San Francisco area and this book, Brooklyn, was about a girl who immigrated to New York from Ireland. It took me a  long time to read because it wasn't exactly a page turner, but once I finally got into it I really liked it. I would put it in the same category as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (oh, duh. Brooklyn), but not as great. Definitely worth reading for something calm and sorta feel-good (but also sorta tragic). Okay I'm not doing a very good job selling this, but I really did like it. My only complaint was that the time period wasn't totally clear. Sometime between 1915 and 1935 is my guess. Who knows, maybe it said it somewhere and I missed it!

3 comments:

kate said...

I liked A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, so maybe I'll have to look into this book. Is it very long? Is it based on a real person's story?

Erin said...

I need to read a Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I think I've been meaning to read that since high school.

Shelly said...

I also have been meaning to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but never have. I was in Brooklyn not to long ago so maybe I will be able to relate? But, probably not. I think it's one thing to visit and one thing to live there, but I can imagine it maybe? ok.